Resent i bought a new VHF/UHF mobile radio. The reason that i was looking for a new VHF/UHF was because i sold my second Icom IC2820. . Why would you say. Simple. I don’t have anything with Icom radio’s. It’s just a flavor of taste and the most part i don’t like is the AUDIO. Icom got really big problems to make a clean audio signal. I had to modify to Microphone of the Icom IC2820 to get a better audio on D-star and to get more low on FM. I was getting close but it was not the audio that i want. In the many years i have tested radio’s there are two companies that are great with audio handling. Kenwood and Yaesu. Because my flavor went up to Yaesu i decided to look for the latest VHF/UHF radio from Yaesu. At first i saw the FTM-350Ar. But companies where telling me that this radio is discontinued. So i had to look for another one. I did have the FT7900 and FT8800. I just want to have something newer. And little more extra feature. Thinking over i saw two model’s . Icom IC-5100 and the FTM-400DR. Asking Hamshop.nl about those items. The answer was simple. Icom IC-5100 is not available for now, and i was skeptic again. One word AUDIO!!! . So i decided to give it a go to order the FTM-400DR.
Here a small review of the radio. Later on i will update this with my latest information.
– Menu of the FTM-400DR is nice ok but cpu slow.
– Audio TX is perfect and in the menu you can set this to the level you want. ( Yeh a Yaesu audio again)
– Program is only possible with the SD card. ( not software is delivered by Yaesu kinda strange?)
– I had to order software from RT systems to program the radio via the SD card. ( That works if you follow the correct procedure) What i do with the program cable?
– The front display can only be hook up to the bracket. There is no option to connect this on the main radio unit.
– Yaesu is delivering a long cable so you can place the radio and front unit on any spot you like.
– On the Microphone you can set the short cut buttons. Perfect and nice feature when you are mobile.
Later on more!!!
The FTM-400DR is the first mobile introduced to be a fully compatable radio partner for use on the YAESU System Fusion Dual Mode system. Compared to other digital modulation schemes within FDMA, C4FM has excellent communication quality (BER: Bit Error Rate characteristics). C4FM is the standard method for professional communication devices in FDMA, and is therefore considered to be the main stream digital communication mode in the future. Download our “Digital Communications Guide for Amateur Radio Operators” available on our web site that explains more about this efficient and reliable digital mode.
|Digital and Analog FM Capable
There is no to lose communications with friends who have not yet chosen to transistion to Digital. The FTM-400DR performs perfectly well using both Analog FM and C4FM Digital.Compact Packaging
Radio Unit 5.5″(W) x 1.6″(H) x 4.9″(D) w/o Fan
Controller 5.5″(W) x 2.8″(H) x 0.8″(D) (140 x 72 x 20mm) w/o Knob
Big Beautiful Display
Screen options include:
Rugged Powerful Transmitter
High Audio Output Power
Snapshot Function (Image Data Transmission)
Image data which was sent from a group member is displayed on the full-color screen. This image data also retains a time record and the GPS location data of the snapshot. It is easy to navigate to that pictured location by using back track function. In addition, you can observe on the screen, whether or not transmitted data was successfully received by the member station. The snapshot image or received data is stored in a high capacity micro SD card. You can recall and send that image data from the SD card anytime. The pictures and data files may be easily viewed and edited by using a personal computer.
* Micro SD card (not included) is required for the Snapshot function
Digital Group Monitor (GM) Function
This is valuable feature for public service group activites, Search & Rescue operations, and any number of other uses limited only by your imagination!
Smart Navigation Function
This is valuable feature for Search & Rescue operations as well as casual hiking and camping.
Voice Guide and Recording Function
Other Useful Features
* APRS® is a registered trademark of Bob Bruninga, WB4APR.